[vlc-devel] core playlist

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Aug 28 14:15:01 CEST 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:50:15 +0200, Jakob Leben <jakob.leben at gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2009/8/27 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>
>
>> Yes *but* this does not specify whether each interfaces would have its
>> own instance of SD and ML.

> Sorry, I don't understand. What is an instance of SD? or ML?

An instance of SD is a succesful invocation of module_need() with service
discovery as the type.

> From my point of view, the point of services dicovery is to discover
> remote services, of which there is only one remote instance.

It does not have to be remote.

They can also be local peripherals, such as USB-MTP gadgets, FM, PVR or DVB
receivers with frequency scanning... And typically you can only have one
"user" at a time. So you cannot have two VLC processes, or VLC and another
media player, or even two SD objects inside the same VLC process using the
device at the same time.

Hence, it is best if SD plugins are driven by the core rather than the
interface. Then we don't need to duplicate them (in memory) when we have
two interfaces or more.

> And also, there is only one instance of a SD module loaded,
> through which *many* interfaces can access
> remote services. It's the role of the module to ensure that.

That's what I was asking.