[vlc-devel] commit: configure: remove return-type from Werror warnings (Pierre Ynard )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 11:32:55 CEST 2009

On Aug 28, 2009, at 8:09 PM, git version control wrote:

> vlc | branch: master | Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr> | Fri Aug
> 28 20:02:58 2009 +0200| [0a761fdb9f89cc892ff3819977d4e1932e49fc13] |
> committer: Pierre Ynard
>
> configure: remove return-type from Werror warnings
>
> Some "no return statement in function returning non-void" warnings are
> definitely not errors, and cannot be silenced without introducing dead
> code, which is arguably just worse.

Given that our only occurrence of such a warning was in the signal
module and that newer gcc version (<4.2) seems to have a better
heuristic before spewing this warning, I believe the proper fix is to
do a sample compile test program and disable return-type conditionally.

But eh, do we really want to spend more time in configure checking for
-Werror attribute...

Pierre.