[vlc-devel] Build's broken

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:58:13 CEST 2009

On Aug 30, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Rafaël Carré wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can't build vlc on Linux:
>
> ../../../vlc/modules/access/screen/xcb.c:358: error: ‘tc.sequence’ may
> be used uninitialized in this function
>
> The warning is not a problem, gcc doesn't see that tc can't be used
> uninitialized, so the code isn't broken.
>
> v4l.c doesn't build either, gcc refuses to cast a char foo[60] to
> (struct bar*). This is probably bad but I can't check what's wrong
> here.
>
> What can be done to have gcc not error out on these files?

I think that VLC_SET_CFLAGS_WERROR([screen],[]) should do the trick. I
am not sure if gcc will like VLC_SET_CFLAGS_WERROR([screen],[-Wno-
error=uninitialized]), but it's worth trying.

If it doesn't work we can consider gcc -Wunitialized as too buggy to
be reliable as an error. (This will depend on gcc version though).

Pierre.