[vlc-devel] Streaming wizard issues

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Tue Dec 1 06:38:48 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:47:52PM +0200, R??mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le lundi 30 novembre 2009 22:27:14 Pierre Ynard, vous avez ??crit :
> > Call it discretion then. But my idea was also whether the stream
> > is of "public" interest and intended to be broadcast to the whole
> > internet, or something "private" just for your friends within your
> > subnet.
>
> To reiterate, if you want stealth mode, you should use encryption. But
> that will need changes on both sides. We cannot set Secure RTP nor
> -crappy- MPEG CSA keys with the open dialog currently.

If you announce an encrypted stream others can see the fact that you're
announcing it (because, well, you are), but cannot see the content.
Unless you mean to encrypt the announcement itself, in which case people
can see an announcement but cannot read what it announces. You are
perfectly right that for preventing others to see the stream you need
encryption, but to limit the distribution regardless of encryption is a
useful option too.

Pierre is proposing the latter; to limit the announcements in a way
that others don't see the announcements by simply not giving it to
them, rather than limit their ability to decrypt the stream or the
announcement. This is weaker, but still useful.

In fact, it would be nice if we had options for both.