[vlc-devel] Streaming wizard issues

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Tue Dec 1 15:12:57 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 01:14:09PM +0100, jpd at videolan.org wrote:
> That is a direct consequence of the very definition of multicast:
[snip]
> So, no, not a single router as such, no. Possibly quite a large number.

And possibly none (affected routers), if noone subscribed to the stream
from a different L3 segment and TTL>1 :-)  *Always* none if TTL=255.

> If you assume everything else works as advertised, yet your arguments
> are full of other things not properly working either. And so are mine,
> for that matter, as that is the point I'm making. That I haven't
> personally had to chase such (yet) is not an argument.
[snip]
> And so VLC does. You can argue until you're blue in the face that SHOULD
> equals MUST, but it doesn't, and so sayeth the relevant RFC.

SHOULD is enough. It requires *you* to present a valid reason, that's so
important that it outweights the spec violation. You completely failed
here, so as I said, it makes no sense to discuss further.

   M.