[vlc-devel] Streaming wizard issues

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Tue Dec 1 19:56:09 CET 2009

> But how do you convey the SDP? For RTP/AVP, we need it, and SAP is
> pretty much the only way to deliver it; RTSP wouldn't even work for an
> hard-coded unicast stream.

I thought really hard about it and I came up with a brilliant idea: we
could use unicast SAP extensions! \o/ The SAP packets would be sent in
unicast to the recipient's address, instead of multicast. And the SAP
service discovery could be extended to bind a socket to UDP port 9875
and process incoming packets as SAP. Seriously, it's kind of custom, but
it doesn't sound like a bad hack to me.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."