[vlc-devel] Streaming wizard issues

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Wed Dec 2 01:12:15 CET 2009

The important number of items might be confusing for the basic user who
doesn't know anything about streaming, and has no idea what to choose
(nor what they really want). Clearer names are better, but things like
"UDP (legacy)" still tend to be visual clutter.

Instead of having one list item and type of tab for each streaming
method, we could group together protocols that listen to incoming
connections (HTTP, MMSH, RTSP), and ones that stream to a given
recipient (RTP, UDP).

 - This allows us to make it clearer that some protocols take a local
   address to bind to, and maybe a path, and others expect a destination
   address (and to factorize the corresponding logic)

 - As Rémi mentioned on IRC, we can bring back the SAP stuff into the
   RTP/UDP tab

 - This makes it easy to recommend a protocol by making the default, and
   deprecate others (UDP...) by tossing them to the bottom of a list or
   as a secondary parameter; and that's good for users who have no idea
   which variant to choose.

On the other hand, this hides a little further protocol names for more
advanced users who already chose and know which one they want to use.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."