[vlc-devel] Last call for release 1.0.4

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Wed Dec 9 09:15:56 CET 2009

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 00:11:58 +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote
> > At the very least, we should do something to avoid interop issues and user
> > confusion due to changed default RTP port number. Instead of having 5004
> > hardcoded at multiple places, there could e.g. be a config option allowing
> > users to continue using 1234 at all relevant places (Open Network,
> >  Streaming Wizard, CLI).
>
> The only change that I recall from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 is the default port
> in the Qt4 Streaming Wizard.

Commit 585ccf6efaa547e09b7c56de875a3dbc2a6a1f49 changes this also in QT4 Open
Network dialog, which was protecting GUI users from seeing 5004 as default.

The problem here is, that 5004 is hardcoded and not changeable, meaning that
users who want 1234 must change the port each time RTP is used. This is
annoying; yet worse, many users were simply not paying any attention to the port
field and are used to type just the address into the Open Network tab.
Those would only notice that RTP "is not working anymore"...

A config option allowing custom default RTP port could restore the previous
behaviour with one-time pref tweaking during VLC install and avoid all the above
problems.

   With kind regards,

        M.