[vlc-devel] Last call for release 1.0.4

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Wed Dec 9 12:31:31 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 11:26:49AM +0200, Ilkka Ollakka wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:18:17AM +0100, Marian Ďurkovič wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 09:49:56AM +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > > I think there are approximately zero users who:
> > >  - will read the NEWS file carefully,
> > >  - use the Network open tab for RTP streams,
> > >  - do not pay attention to its port number widget,
> > >  - have poor knowledge of network protocols, *and*
> > >  - yet would understand a notice that the default RTP port
> > >    changed in the Qt4 interface.
>
> > Yes. That's exactly why I'm proposing a config option, which could be
> > used to make 1234 a default port for RTP again :-)
>
> Sounds like you're trying to archive easy-usability littlebit wrong way.
> What I've read, seems that you have multicast-network in use and
> instructions are something like 'choose file-> open network, type in
> this address, profit' ?

There are two types of services. The first type is general-use, always-on,
announced by SAP. No problem here of course, since the users just click on
playlist item and they're done.

The other type is casual ad-hoc streaming for limited audience (group of
a few people want to collaborate and see some 5 minutes video).
The instructions in place are: agree on a local multicast group (or get
one from the IT dept), stream to it from one VLC using the wizard and use
Open Network on all other VLC instances to receive it.
Far easiest to explain, works just in few clicks and requires a single
parameter - the multicast group address.

Creating SDPs on HTTP server is IMHO unnecessary bloat for this type of
ad-hoc usage. Announcing via SAP is not desired in order not to pollute
the SAP group.

Now a sudden default port change from 1234 to 5004 will obviously make all
this either more complicated or not working at all for various reasons
(clashes between different VLC versions, port 5004 not open on router
ACLs/firewalls, etc)

   With kind regards,

        M.