[vlc-devel] Streaming MRL issue: MRL incorrectly created via GUI?

Claudio Allocchio Claudio.Allocchio at garr.it
Mon Dec 14 17:23:26 CET 2009

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 17:52:58 Claudio Allocchio, vous avez écrit :
>> Windows XP version, UNICAST:
>>
>> VLC any version:
>>
>> The default "Open network stream..." menu does not work both with udp and
>> rtp protocols selected, unless you insert 0.0.0.0 as network address, in
>> order to create the MRL
>
> It works fine here.

Have you tried with an HDVTS generated stream? we put the HDVTS on an
Internet2 host and the VLC received on our LAN here in Europe, and putting
in that nonsense 0.0.0.0 was the only way to make it work.

  Are you sure you're putting a local address? Most
> operating systems do not allow binding to remote addresses.

I know... if it is a unicast stream, you should not specify any address at
all, just the port, as the sender is directing the stream just to your IP
address (and you can see this clearly with a simple taskmgr on XP, where
you detect the 28Mbps input traffic)...

are you using VLC 1.0.4? I've not tried it yet.