[vlc-devel] receiving HVDTS MPEG2 strams: UDP makes artifacts, RTP is OK.

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Tue Dec 15 08:24:32 CET 2009

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:22:31 +0100 (CET), Claudio Allocchio wrote
> > Second, VLC tries to set rather large socket receive buffers. However most
> > operating systems will pad the limit to a much lower value for security
> > reasons. Hence, at outragous rate, buffer overflow and then packet loss is
> > likely to occur (Windows seems more prone to this than Linux, but this is
> > entirely empirical).
>
> This is more likely... at HD resolution with MPEG2 buffer overflows
> are possible if the buffer sizes do not match reasonably. The problems
> shows identical on MacOS and XP, too.

Well, if it works fine with RTP, I wouldn't blame the buffers (unless there's
some weird bug). More likely, this is yet another UDP-specific problem, like the
absence of exact payload-type declaration. It means VLC must autodetect the
payload, which is not always reliable. A common problem is that VLC selects
wrong demux (PS instead of TS).

To sum up: UDP is not the way to go, use RTP instead.

    With kind regards,

           M.