[vlc-devel] commit: lpcm: abort() is a better solution here (Jean-Baptiste Kempf )

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 14:52:56 CET 2009

2009/12/16 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>

> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:29:24 +0100 (CET), git at videolan.org (git version
> control) wrote:
> > vlc | branch: master | Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> | Wed Dec
> 16
> > 11:29:04 2009 +0100| [5fdee8ec9899456231c2bd584614ba41c4191ed3] |
> > committer: Jean-Baptiste Kempf
> >
> > lpcm: abort() is a better solution here
>
> No, it's much worse. assert() prints a diagnostic message with a source
> code file name, a line number and the assertion. abort() just terminates
> the process. Thus cannot be traced unless core dumping is enabled or a
> debugger is running, neither of which are normally true.

I dislike both solutions although assert() is preferred above abort().

In case a stream with LPCM is started in a VLM and other streams are already
running, then both assert() and abort() will kill the entire process and
thereby disrupting service. In this case I prefer gracefull degredation and
the startup of that one stream with LPCM should just fail.

My 2cts

Kind regards,
Jean-Paul Saman.