[vlc-devel] ASX ads behaviour - patch proposal

Pierre Souchay pierre at souchay.net
Sat Dec 19 12:40:55 CET 2009

Hi Videolan developpers,

I recently tried to read this playlist using VLC :

http://viphttp.yacast.net/nrj/PUBWEBRADIOS/NRJ/encodernrj.asx

This playlist has a unique entry with CLIENTSKIP="NO".

And I could not figure why the entry was skipped. I saw there is a skip ads
feature in the ASX parser code. Basically, it considers that the clientskip
attribute is intended for ads. While it makes sense in most cases, in this
case, VLC does not open the stream which is painful.

When a single entry is found, it should be played even there is a clientskip
attribute.

I made a patch for VLC and seems to work well.

When the first entry is read and has a clientskip attribute, It keeps a backup
of the playlist entry for later use. If another entry exists without
clientskip attribute, the backup will be discarded.

When finished parsing, we search for a backup, if found, we add it (it means we
did not added any entry).

You will find a patch as attachment.

Cheers

Pierre Souchay