[vlc-devel] Mac OS X developers

Brian Weaver cmdrclueless at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 18:51:04 CET 2009

Well I could use some help tracking down a problem in the OS X interface from a veteran OS X programmer. I checked out HEAD, compiled it, and have been trying to track down a very repeatable bug. I'm able to get VLC crash consistently by starting up a movie, moving the mouse to the menus and simply pass the mouse over so that most of the pull downs are exposed. I then simply click on the movie window to make the menus go away. Once I got back to the menus I get a crash.

It's very repeatable. I'd like to solve the problem because I've changed the code around a bit to get rid of the setjmp / longjmp calls on the main GUI thread. For some reason the use of those calls seem to go against the managed object nature of OS X framework IMHO. I was having this crash before I removed the setjmp and longjmp calls too.

The core of the problem is that there are too many release calls on the main vlc video object. This is causing an assertion that the vlc object not have any children to fail and crash the whole program. I've added lots of debugging to try to track down what's going on.

I've attached my patches, but they are *definitely* not for inclusion to the project. I've add them to assist any OS X developers who might be interested in helping me track down this bug.

-- Weave