[vlc-devel] Cannot play YouTube mp4 videos

Flavio Tordini flavio.tordini at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 18:25:49 CET 2009

Hi all,
I'm the developer of Minitube, a Qt-based YouTube client. I'm using Phonon on
my crossplatform app and I'd like to use the Phonon VLC backend for the
Windows version.

While building and testing I noticed a problem with YouTube videos. Everything
is fine with local MP4 sample files (downloaded from YT). When I try to play
real MP4 YT streams VLC stutters and then stops. I tried with both 1.0.3 and
1.1 (trunk) nightlies. Notice that this happens both in my app AND with the
regular VLC app, so it is not related to Phonon or my app in any way.

Here's a sample url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKNaUe7Ijfg&fmt=18
I believe I'm hitting this bug: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2969
But it is closed and fixed...

It would be nice if someone could help verify and fix this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Flavio Tordini

PS: Here's the project page http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube