[vlc-devel] [VLC] #2468: VLC 0.9.8a crahes when opening a mpeg2-file with .mod-extension.

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Feb 2 10:45:33 CET 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:35:13 +0100, Laurent Aimar <fenrir at via.ecp.fr> wrote:
>> This crash occurs whereby an MPEG-PS file exhibits a .mod extension.
>> Changing priorities will not fix the problem.
>  It will in most cases:
>  The PS demuxer has 2 priorities, one when the begin of the file look
like
> valid PS and one that will always accept the file (default fallback).
>  So if the file looks like PS and the PS demuxer has a higher priority
> over mod, it will be chosen instead.

Is it not so that, when the extension is "known", the input code will
automatically force a demux, and _then_ fallback to probing?
As far as I can tell, if a file matches *.mod, we will always try
libmodplug _first_, before anything else, including the "high priority" PS
detection.

>  It will not fix any problem with broken PS (ie that does not have valid
> header at the begining).

Sure.

(...)
>  We can try to make the mod plugin detection more robust. Is there anyone
> that have informations on mod file format ?

MOD file format per se is well documented. But there are 5 different
trackers format, and I believe libmodplug understands several of these. MOD
is just one of them. But what is the point? First, it will still crash if
we have a corrupt file with a valid header anyway. Secondly, we will loose
support for any tracker file that the VLC modplug plugin does not know,
whereas libmodplug would.

IMNSHO, whoever cares really ought to fix libmodplug directly, or write a
native VLC plugin.