[vlc-devel] VLC Scalability

Philip Frey1 PHF at zurich.ibm.com
Thu Feb 5 11:03:12 CET 2009

Hello,

we are running an experiment to evaluate the scalability of the VLC in RTP
mode.
For some reason we find that the server does not scale beyond 330 clients
no
matter what bitrate our movie is (we are streaming Quicktime content).

When streaming Full HD content (~9Mbps), the number of clients is limited
by the
CPU power of the server. When using Standard Definition content (~1Mbps
and ~3Mbps),
the CPU load increases up to about 330 connected client and then dropps
suddenly
to almost 0 and the clients no longer receive any data.

Do you have an explanation for this behavior? Is there a hard limit on the
number of
clients that can connect to the VLC server using RTP?

We were running the same experiments also on the Darwin Streaming Server
and
found that DSS can do up to 400 clients (and even more) for small
bitrates.
With regard to HD content, the DSS is also limited by the CPU on the
server.

Many thanks for your advice,
 Philip

--