[vlc-devel] Spawning a vout when none is available

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 8 13:10:23 CET 2009

Hi,

since accessing vout is a sensitive issue :) I'll ask before
I start hacking.

I'd like to spawn a vout when none is available on streams
containing audio and images.
Specifically, these would be Ogg streams with a Speex audio
stream and a Kate stream containing PNG slides, timed with
the speech.

At the moment, since no video is detected, no vout exists,
and one has to enable visualization (to spawn a vout and
enable the video menu), then select the subtitles track in
the video menu.

What I'd like to do is, if the subtitles track is selected (for
instance via the command line), spawn a vout if none does
exist yet, without visualization graphics, and display images
in there. This may imply changing the resolution of the vout
to match whatever resolution the slides are, if those change.

So my question is: what is the approved way of doing this ?
I'd first need to know that there is no vout (and that there
will still be no vout soon either), and, if so, create one with
appropriate size parameters.
And I'll probably need to do that without vlc_object_find :)

Thanks