[vlc-devel] [patch] Alter symbol-globalising dlopen(RTLD_NOLOAD) call to succeed

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Feb 13 17:11:30 CET 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:21:07 +0100 (CET), jpd at m2x.nl wrote:
> I will not comment on the merits of arguments either way, but this
> explanation still fails to impress me with the relation, if any, of that
> topic to the patch I originally submitted and the issues you found with
> it but are hard pressed to discuss in detail.

Honestly, I don't know if DEEPBIND is the solution, but since you did not
send a revised patch (or I missed it with my crappy webmail), I admit I did
not bother to check. Anyhow, it does not look to me like it would fix the
problem.If I understand properly, it would move libvlccore.so ahead. That
is the exact opposite of what I wanted to get - have the plugin link
against the image of the library which is executing dlopen(), rather than
libvlccore.

According to you, the dlsym() check does not work as I intended. Then I
assume the problem lies with the handle parameter of the dlsym() call,
rather than with the dlopen() parameters.

Come to think of it, I wonder if this was not lost effort anyway. If I'm
not mistaken this hack will break on other OSes, no matter what. In
retrospect, I find not-linking libvlccore was a terrible idea.