[vlc-devel] Start a VLC from a C-Code without any URL

jpd at m2x.nl jpd at m2x.nl
Fri Feb 20 09:31:25 CET 2009

On Wed, February 18, 2009 13:09, Anna Richter wrote:
> I habe the following problem: i need to implement a multimedia-streaming
> solution with the feature, that the server streams a video to a client and
> plays this video at the same time. VLC player is used to display the data.

Since nobody else has answered so far I'll take a shot, though I must
admit not being hindered by much factual knowledge either (yet).

You mention multicast, so my first thought would be to tell your
monitoring instance of vlc to listen on the same multicast address and
show whatever it sees.

A second suggestion would be to keep a vlc instance running and give it
regular instructions whenever needed over the `remote control' interface
it provides.

Note that you probably will have to tell the sender to deliver multicast
packets sent to the local machine also. At least on some systems it does
not do so unless you tell it to. This would be a system control option.