[vlc-devel] [RFC] VLC RTSP trickplay support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Feb 22 09:27:41 CET 2009

>I cooked up a patch for live555 to export a method (hasScale())
>which tells if the RTSP server supports scale. The patch is to
>illustrate a possible approach. Maybe Ross can comment on this
>approach and share his thoughts on how to best handle this issue.

No patch to the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code should be needed; the
existing code can be used to do what you want - I think.

After you call "RTSPClient::playMediaSession()", simply call
"scale()" on the "MediaSession" parameter; this tells you the scale
factor - if any - that the server returned.

If "scale()" returns a value other than 1.0, then you know that the
server supports scaling (and that the stream will be at the given
scale).

If, however, "scale()" returns 1.0, then you know that the server
does not support scaling (or else you didn't request it).
--

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.