[vlc-devel] VLM public API: Querying media information

Alexander Bethke abethke at oamk.fi
Mon Feb 23 13:47:26 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to get the Java bindings for VLM a bit up to date / in shape
and came across some questions regarding the VLM API.

At the moment there is no way to get information back from vlm. The
libvlc_vlm_show_media has obviously been crippled (it seems to have been
left out in an API refactoring step). Those
libvlc_vlm_get_media_instance_something functions don't really provide
enough information to do something much with it.
I tried of course to fix the libvlc_vlm_show_media to return some
representation of what is given out on the telnet interface. But of
course this is not really the way to go, nor did I succeed in fixing it.
(That heavy pointer-usage in vlm maxes out my C-knowledge quickly.)
There is some struct definition commented out in input/vlm.c that looks
like the start of something that I would be looking for. So what was the
idea about that one? Or how is information to be query from vlm via
public libvlc api?

Regards, Alex