[vlc-devel] Different code paths between libvlc and VideoLan player?

Jonathan Wong jhannwong at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 07:06:34 CET 2009

Hi all,

How is it that the media length and current time (position in millisec) works in VideoLan player,
but not in libvlc? I thought the entire VideoLan player was built on libvlc?

Procedures like libvlc_media_player_get_length, libvlc_media_player_get_time don't work correctly
(with .mpg).  However, the media current time and media total length are displayed perfectly fine
in VideoLan player for all media types!

I've started looking into the QT gui codes, and tracing down to the stuff behind it.

But, can anyone here help me get started quickly in unraveling vlc? I could help in its
development. I have a 6-month project all to do with videos, and I do envision making quite a bit
of contribution to vlc.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Jonathan