[vlc-devel] commit: s/Paste MRL/Paste Location/ (Jean-Baptiste Kempf )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sat Feb 28 14:08:01 CET 2009

Le samedi 28 février 2009 14:59:00 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 01:57:10PM +0100, Felix Paul Kühne wrote :
> > Oh, I would never have guessed that from this menu title. Seriously.
> > Perhaps, using something like "Open URL/Location from Clipboard" might
> > be a better naming?
>
> Ctrl+V is used for Paste, and this is exactly what happens here, you
> select anything, you Ctrl+C, in VLC you Ctrl+V and set Ok.

No. Normally Ctrl+V pastes. Immediately. Here, Ctrl+V opens the "paste"
dialog. Hence, that argument bears little to no value to me.

> That is why it is named paste and not open.

That's not the point. We _need_ an Open URL or Open Location box, because it
is the ONE single SANE way to open HTTP/RTSP/MMS streams. It simply is. And
once we have that, Paste MRL/Paste URL will become totally redumdant.

How can you pretend to argue for consistency with other softwares, then use
the argument to make things that is precisely inconsistent with those?