[vlc-devel] [RFC] Opening network stream

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 28 14:33:27 CET 2009

Am 28.02.2009 um 14:21 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Kempf:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 03:17:50PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> Le samedi 28 février 2009 14:52:07 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez
>> écrit :
>>>
>>> Well, I kind of disagre...
>>
>> Impressive arguments, you have.
>
> Maybe I don't want to argue with you.
Yes, let's start to ignore mails with long texts and good arguments
just because you dislike the author. That's a great idea...

> One argument is that open dialog let you convert/stream while Paste
> URL
> doesn't.

As far as I understood, one of Rémi's main arguments is that that the
current Open Network panel is bound to be used in a wrong way by most
users. It's confusing and unnecessarily complicated.
1) you can ditch the protocol popup altogether. It's useless for most
protocols. A TextField to paste the URL in is enough and _in sync_
with most media players.
2) All one may need the current UI for RTP/UDP-TS, but this should be
hidden by default.

Result: you get a clean dialogue with Sout support, but don't need
this paste location thingie, which would be really off-standard if it
remains named this way. Nobody pastes stuff through "File" (or
"Media") menu. Additionally, don't you have any text fields in the Qt4
interface where you would like copy&paste? Well, you can't now,
because cmd-v is taken by the Media menu's facility to open network
streams. This even confuses me, although I don't really think to be a
PC starter (virtually like everyone on this list).

Best regards,

Felix