[vlc-devel] How does VLC pause while streaming?

Smart, Gary Gary.Smart at goodrich.com
Mon Jan 5 17:03:32 CET 2009

I'm under the impression that VLC pauses by buffering in memory
(sustainable for only short periods).  I wish to be able to pause mp4
streaming for extended periods (e.g. half and hour) and then resume
playing from the paused position.  Does anyone have any experience of
perhaps configuring the VLC to write the input stream directly to disk
in mp4 format and modifying the VLC to play directly from the mp4 file
rather from the stream?

Gary