[vlc-devel] RE : What's the best to communicate between an app and avideo output plugin?

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Thu Jan 15 16:33:35 CET 2009

Hello,

>   I had a similar problem a few weeks ago.
>   A patch was applied to vmem.c that allows passing parameters at the
> media/media_player level for the vmem plugin.

That's commit f2e6cfeecc416b021338a13

The use of var_ instead of config_ allow you to use vlc MRL
:option:value and to change the value more easily via e.g. the GUI
whereas config_ are only from the --option in the command line and the
preferences

var_Create....(p_object, "foo") will create a foo var in p_object. the
value of foo will be inherited from the parent of p_object if they
have a foo variable and will inherit form the foo config variable if
it exists.

Hope i'm not too wrong and that it helps,

--
Xtophe