[vlc-devel] What's the best to communicate between an app and a video output plugin?

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Jan 15 20:24:39 CET 2009

Le jeudi 15 janvier 2009 19:07:40 Julien Pauty, vous avez écrit :
> I created my own output plugin. But, I used the vmem one,as a starting
> point, which was using config_Get... I did not know of the var system.
>
> Do you consider using var as hackish ?

Variables are not safe. There are checks whatsoever with them. When passing a
handles or pointers within a variable, you cannot protect against undefined
behaviour (Segmentum faultis vulgaris). The VLC variable system does not even
(quite) provide type safety.

And the user can set any variable to any value, for instance with the RC
interface, HTTP interface or a LUA script.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary