[vlc-devel] [RFC] Versioned installation directories

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Jan 18 16:52:01 CET 2009

	Hello,

Currently, all VLC versions indiscrimitally install their data to
$(prefix)/lib/vlc and $(prefix)/share/vlc. As a result, installation multiple
versions in parallel is impossible, since the last installation will override
files from the previous one. Or more commonly, the package manager won't let
it happen.

There are sometimes requests for such a feature. Basically, we'd need to
version the library and data directories, instead of using the automake's
built-in pkglibdir and pkgdatadir. We'd also need to version the gettext
domain. AFAICT, the only conflicting files at that point become the VLC
binary and alias scripts. These can be renamed on the fly with
configure's --program-transform-name et al - so it's a non-issue.

I don't have any strong opinion either way, so I wonder what other Linux-based
devs think.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary