[vlc-devel] [RFC] Versioned installation directories

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Jan 23 09:19:49 CET 2009

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:52:01 +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont <rem at videolan.org>
wrote:
> There are sometimes requests for such a feature. Basically, we'd need to
> version the library and data directories, instead of using the automake's

> built-in pkglibdir and pkgdatadir. We'd also need to version the gettext
> domain. AFAICT, the only conflicting files at that point become the VLC
> binary and alias scripts. These can be renamed on the fly with
> configure's --program-transform-name et al - so it's a non-issue.
>
> I don't have any strong opinion either way, so I wonder what other
> Linux-based devs think.

Since nobody opposed it, I'm planning to change:
$(prefix)/lib/vlc -> $(prefix)/lib/vlc-1.0
$(prefix)/share/vlc -> $(prefix)/share/vlc-1.0

Libvlccore API is supposed to be stable within a branch, and is unlikely to
remain stable across major releases, so this ought to work for the
foreseeable future. FWIW gstreamer is already doing that.