[vlc-devel] Rant about VLC video outputs

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Tue Jan 27 09:46:48 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 23:29 +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> HWND Win32 window handle, and X11 window ID. vout_RequestWindow()
> assumes they are interchangeable, which only works because we don't
> currently mix them on  any platform.
Put also MacOS X into the picture.
My app (Advene) is a cross-platform gtk-based application. On MacOS X,
until now, I had to use the X server and the X-based version of gtk
(thus using X11 window ids to embed VLC). Now, there is a native aqua
port for gtk, which means I can have potentially 2 types of video output
on the same platform. For the moment though, the aqua gtk version does
not implement the necessary code to embed widgets but it will soon come.

Olivier