[vlc-devel] commit: NEWS update (Jean-Philippe Andre )

Jean-Philippe André jpeg at dinauz.org
Wed Jan 28 14:07:54 CET 2009

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:46:26 +0100, "Pierre d'Herbemont"
<pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:
>> + * On-the-fly zip file decompression and browsing (MRL of the form
> zip://file.zip|file.avi to specify the file)
>
> IMO, the PATH_SEP separator should have been used instead of | which
> is also a valid char in path.
>
> That requires more disk IO to locate the real zip file, but this is
> stricter.
>
> What do you think?

Well, actually, there is a trick in the stream_filter that makes the use
of | possible: the base path to the zip file (which is not necessarily on
the
local filesystem) is encoded (using web chars like %20 for ' ').

I don't think any character is invalid on good linux filesystems, so I had
choose a random separator (that is not valid as a web character).

The real MRL for an mp3 in a zip would be for example:
zip://%2Fmedia%2Fmusic%2Ffile.zip|folder/clip.mp3
(assuming | is encoded in %2F)

But if there is no | then a non encoded URL is also valid:
zip:///media/music/file.zip|folder/clip.mp3

Regards,

--
Jean-Philippe André (jpeg)