[vlc-devel] commit: NEWS update (Jean-Philippe Andre )

Jean-Philippe André jpeg at videolan.org
Wed Jan 28 19:30:08 CET 2009

Hi,

Le mercredi 28 janvier 2009 à 06:55:34, Pierre d'Herbemont a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Jean-Philippe André <jpeg at dinauz.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:46:26 +0100, "Pierre d'Herbemont"
> > <pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:

> Hum, ok. I don't think that really addresses my question. (Remi has a
> good follow up on that one ;) )

Yeah, I did not explain very well but I understood your question.

> I was asking about what you think about using '/' (or '\\' on windows)
> instead of '|'.
>
> If you don't think that it's a great idea, then do you check if the
> full path exists before assuming that | indicates a .zip contents?
>
> for instance, is the zip demux fooled by:
> "zip:///home/me/music||video/test.zip"?

No. Btw, you can't open zip:///home/me/music||video/test.zip. You open
file:///home/me/music||video/test.zip

I tested with a music||video folder, here's the encoded MRL:
zip://%2Fhome%2Fmp3%2Fmusic%7C%7Cvideo%2Ftest3.zip|Portishead.mp3

As you can see, it's immediate to find the separator (strchr).
The other | are encoded into %7C. The stream_filter does the encoding.

The base path is then decoded to open the file
/home/mp3/music||video/test3.zip

I agree that's ugly. But, there can't be any issue with |. And you don't
have to open successively different folders. I dislike this because this
would mean opening many different web pages for an http access, for
instance.

Finally, if you really want to start vlc with
zip://pathtozip.zip|file.mp3, then as long as there is no % nor | in the
'path to zip' then the decoding and parsing of the MRL will be okay.

Regards,

--
Jean-Philippe André (jpeg)