[vlc-devel] Releasing too slow

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 00:38:01 CEST 2009

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 21:41:49 +0300
"Rémi Denis-Courmont" <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

> First, there has been way too little informations on what was going
> on. Basically, I have almost never known what was blocking the
> release at a given point in time.

j-b has sent lists of blocking items from time to time, what kind of
information would you have needed?

> Second, it has been way too slow. Most recently, there have been so
> few and minor bugfixes, that I really wonder why the release was not
> already done. It makes me think we are waiting for things that nobody
> wants to fix, which is utterly pointless.

Right

> IMHO, the proper time for a freeze is a month or so after forking.

Makes sense.

I suggest scheduling regular IRC meetings during forking to sum up the
current status, blocking items, and who's working on what.

> Frankly, I am getting quite demotivated. The lack of release
> predictability is demotivating, and so are the lack of visibility and
> timeliness. And it appears to hurt our credibility in the open-source
> community in general. Either we get someone to do source code release
> management seriously, or we might as well give up.

j-b is making the release now, like promised in his mail from Friday,
so I'm not sure if you had missed the mail, or thought that he would do
it earlier in the day.

--
Rafaël Carré