[vlc-devel] RTSP client 'trick play' support. When will it ever work??

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 8 00:55:43 CEST 2009

After reading on http://www.videolan.org/  that one of the features
of VLC v1.0.0 is "RTSP Trickplay support", I excitedly downloaded and
installed it, but found - to my dismay - that this still does not
work at all.

(I tested this against a MPEG-2 Transport Stream file streamed by the
"LIVE555 Media Server" <http://www.live555.com/mediaServer/>, with
the file indexed to support trick play.)

I found that 'trick play' operations do not work at all.  In
particular, the 'faster' and 'slower' controls have no effect (other
than displaying "faster" and "slower" in VLC's display).  No new RTSP
"PLAY" commands are sent at all.

Similarly, I could not seek within the stream at all (by trying to
drag the playback diamond).

And pausing works at the GUI, but doesn't actually cause a RTSP
"PAUSE" command to be sent, so it's not actually pausing the network
stream.

What's going on here?  Why was "RTSP Trickplay support" promoted as a
feature of VLC 1.0.0, when it doesn't work at all?

(Sorry for the harsh criticism, but it's only because - in most other
respects - I love VLC so much :-)
--

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.