[vlc-devel] [RFC] -- skins2 on Windows

brezhoneg1 brezhoneg1 at yahoo.fr
Thu Jul 9 14:11:12 CEST 2009

On Windows, skins2 has been using a special hack (also used on MacOS)
that forces the main thread to run their GUI interface instead of using
a dedicated thread.

This hack has several side effects, among which the difficulty to
terminate vlc in a clean way.

My tests led to the following:

- This hack is needed on Windows only because the GUI initialization
(including creating Windows) is done in the "Open" function of the
interface (therefore done in the main thread where module_need is run).
This approach then makes it mandatory to keep on using the main thread.

- If the GUI initialization is moved into the "Run" function of the
interface, then the hack is no longer required. Everything is run in the
dedicated interface thread. It runs fine.

- Note that the qt4 interface already uses the latter case, and doesn't
require the special hack for Windows.

As far as skins2(Windows) is concerned, I propose to no longer use this
hack and just mimic the qt4 initialization.
A working and tested patch is already available.

Questions :

   - Are there any reasons I am not aware of against it?
   - If ok, should the patch be applied to both vlc1.0 and vlc1.1 or
just vlc1.1 ?

Thanks for your comments

Rgds
Erwan10