[vlc-devel] RTSP client 'trick play' support. When will it ever work??

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Jul 9 21:43:21 CEST 2009

Le jeudi 9 juillet 2009 22:34:05 Laurent Aimar, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
>
> > (Ideally, VLC would have some implement some kind of progress bar, even
> > when it does not know the length of a _seekable_ media.
>
>  That's a bit difficult without knowing the length and/or the current
> position. How to you translate the user clicking somewhere into a position
> ? Beside, with rtsp you never know when you can seek or not (unless I
> missed something in that wonderfull RTSP RFC).

There are two completely separate problems. The scale/UI design is one issue.
Of course, it will be clumsy and RTSP servers should really specify the media
length in the description.

Handling the failure to seek is another one. But I think that we can already
cope with as the demux can do whatever it wants with the seek point, no?

http://www.remlab.net/