[vlc-devel] commit: gestures: change volume on playlist rather than interface ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Jul 10 09:55:55 CEST 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 22:52:03 +0200, Laurent Aimar <fenrir at via.ecp.fr> wrote:
>  AFAIK, the *only* reason to have more than one aout object at the same
> time is to use two distinct audio devices (which might be wanted, no
idea).

I do not know if VLC does sampling, coding, and mixing properly when more
than one input has an active audio track in the same instance. Even then,
the user may want different settings for different inputs - this is
self-evident if you have more than one video in the same browser page for
instance. Also, the audio output back-end might apply a different policy to
different VLC inputs (although I admit this is still nascent in PulseAudio,
and absent in VLC).

In other words, I think re-using the same audio output across different
"input parents" would be wrong.