[vlc-devel] Modules to remove for 1.1 ?

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Fri Jul 10 16:34:03 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 04:03:38PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> cddax - We don't care about cd-paranoia, IMVHO -

I do use cdparanoia, if not in combination with vlc ATM. I don't know
about the relative merits of cdda vs. cddax but at least the latter's
back-end is good enough to warrant wanting an interface.

> mga? - never worked

So how did the code end up in the tree?

Amazingly mga cards are still sold and are apparently still in use in
certain fields -- reportedly very good if not best ever 2D accelerators,
and, of course, dual-head support. Consequently dropping support would
not be wise and in fact it'd be worth at least a look provided someone
has the hardware. I might have, but I'll have to dig.

> xvmc? - never worked for me

Reportedly works. Removing would make owners of viachrome hardware
unhappy. I do own a C7 board or two and so does jpsaman.

> vcdx? (It has menus that the vcd module hasn't, I think)

The code isn't very nice, but at least add the missing stuff to vcd.