[vlc-devel] About the 1.0.0 release
jb at videolan.org
Fri Jul 10 18:09:36 CEST 2009
VLC 1.0.0 release is now over. Websites are now back to normal.
Here are just a few thoughts on it.
- We have done around 3,46Million downloads in the first 72hours
after the release showed up on the website.
- Around half of those people went through www.videolan.org
- The website hold and did not suffer from shortage or downtime. This is
mostly because of the modification of the website and the time of the
On average people, got 3 files from apache ( /index.html, favicon.ico
and mirror-geo.php) on ganesh and images from lighttpd from sirius.
- 1.0.0 has hit most of the geeky websites quite correctly and in a timely
manner. Sure, we helped them, but this is quite nice.
- Donations went quite up, reaching a few thousands of euro-dollars. It is
not much, but is quite correct compared to how much we have received since
the creation of Paypal account in 2001.
- Reactions and review were quite good.
On the technical side, a lot of bugs have been fixed, and I know I have
slowed a bit the release, but I think this was worth it, especially with
this symbolic number. But I hope we will never have to be back in the
state of the 0.9.x version, and we will not have to deal with such a long time after freeze.
Reading the various forums, there are a few issues left, one being very
worrying (a crash on avcodec on WMV playback) and a few ones not that
important (unseekable FLVs, crash in Qt, etc...)
I would like to thank everyone for this release.
More information about the vlc-devel