[vlc-devel] byte ranges in vlc HTTP requests

Rainer Joswig joswig at lisp.de
Sun Jul 12 20:26:19 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to support the use of VLC with a web server (CL-HTTP) that
handles byte ranges.
Currently I have some trouble when I want to display a movie that
comes from that webserver.
The transport is going over HTTP 1.1.

VLC requests a byte range of   0-  and for the next request of
198512-  .

Why doesn't it request byte ranges of  0-198511 and 198512-397023  ?
Why not ask the web server for a specific byte range like above?

How is VLC's current transfer method supposed to work? Is there a
description of what is implemented?

VLC requests bytes from 0 to the end of the data source, but then ends
the transfer some point (?) and requests a new range from some number
to the end?
Is that a good idea?

Regards,

Rainer Joswig