[vlc-devel] byte ranges in vlc HTTP requests

Anthony Loiseau thannoy at actech-innovation.com
Wed Jul 15 10:34:48 CEST 2009

Hi,

I never look at HTTP access on VLC 1.0.0, but it should be close to 0.9.

VLC ask for 0- range for some reasons:
- if the HTTP server handle ranges, a 206 ret code must be given. VLC
know by this code that the stream is seekable (because range are
accepted by the server).

- HTTP specifications[1] says the entire file must be returned in case
of "0-" range requests, so "0-" is interesting. TCP stream remains open
as for a download request and VLC read this socket at the time it needs
to render the playback.
 Have you tested your server against this statement [1]? Have you tested
to keep a socket opened for a long time on your server?

To understand better the HTTP access process, you can read its code [2].
It is easy to read.

For what I remember, it only request for another range if the socket
have been closed (not always and maybe only for Icecast) or if the user
use seek feature. To see if it is a seek, look at your server logs to
see if the first chunk was 198511 bytes long or not.

Regards,
Anthony

1:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.35.1