[vlc-devel] vlc plugin and attachment:// URIs

Michael A. Puls II shadow2531 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 22:21:29 CEST 2009

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 02:29:15 -0400, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>
wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 21:47:54 -0400, "Michael A. Puls II"
> <shadow2531 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, the vlc plugin, even in normal conditions where
>> document.location.href and the src param are values that it understands,
>> never seems to request the file from the browser and seems to always
>> download the file with its own network code. (This probably also
>> explains
>> why if you use <object type="application/x-vlc-plugin" data="file.ogg">,
>> the plug-in never tries to stream the file the browser is already
>> downloading)
>
> AFAIK, this is done on-purpose. I suspect that a browser's HTTP streamed
> data would not be flexible enough for VLC to use.

Thanks.

O.K. In this case, one just makes sure that they don't specify @data and
just stick to specifying an mrl param.

However, with the attachment:// situation in Opera, do you think the
browser's streaming would be flexible enough there (since the data
wouldn't be coming over HTTP)? Or, do you think it'd be just as inflexible?

If so, what about for now, make it so that if after:

  if( psz_target )
{
  // get absolute URL from src
char *psz_absurl = getAbsoluteURL(psz_target);
psz_target = psz_absurl ? psz_absurl : strdup(psz_target);
  }

psz_target still starts with "attachment:", make the video area say "URI
scheme not supported"?

Would that be acceptable?

That way, it's clear that situation is just not supported (as opposed to
being an Opera bug).

Thanks

--
Michael