[vlc-devel] Re : vlc mozilla plugin and html content

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 22 20:49:57 CEST 2009

Le mercredi 22 juillet 2009 14:36:05 Rafał Chłodnicki, vous avez écrit :
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Vicente Jiménez<googuy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mmmnn, I know that is very difficult to have any content on top of a
> > VLC media plugin.
> > I'm agree that this could be very useful.
>
> keyword - windowsless plugin
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference/Drawing_and_Eve
>nt_Handling#Windowless_Plug-ins

On more careful reading... this is radically incompatible with the
architecture of our current 4 Xlib, 2 XCB and 4 Win32 video output modules.
Basically a set of Mozilla-specific outputs with callbacks into the web plugin
code would be required...

Also, as JPD hinted, we would loose overlay support. In fact, X.Org supports
Xvideo on a drawable only since this spring... and depending on the driver...

So I am going to invoke the one-size-fits-all response: patch welcome.

http://www.remlab.net/