[vlc-devel] Theora/Ogg encoding

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Sat Jul 25 16:41:08 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le samedi 25 juillet 2009 16:48:06 ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com, vous avez écrit
> :
> > I'm seeing Ogg/Theora encoding is buggy. One of the problems is that the
> > granpos from libtheora is ignored, and reconstructed.
> > Would it be deemed alright to use the i_length mtime_t member from block_t
> > to store this granpos in the theora encoder, and pull it in the ogg muxer ?
>
> Iff i_length is not needed otherwise for Theora.
 The problem is a problem of semantics, i_length is described as the length
(duration) of the associated data and is used as such.
 Not settings a correct i_length field will breaks some muxers (maybe they are
not be able to mux theora anyway), and may break some stream_out modules (at
least the rtp output).

 Is it complicated to reconstruct the granpos at the muxer side? What
information is needed ?

 Hack like reusing a field for another purpose is never maintainable in the long
term.

Regards,

--
fenrir