[vlc-devel] commit: Contribs: remove XML dependency from Fontconfig. ( Jean-Baptiste Kempf )

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Mon Jul 27 10:37:03 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:30:20PM +0200, jb via git wrote:
[...]
> We DON'T use the fonts.conf anyway on Windows, therefore, why having
> such a dependency, just for parsing a configure file that we don't
> ship? I still don't get what is wrong with an .ini/.conf format, but
> that is not my business, I guess.

You just don't understand! Buzzwords are important!

Seeing the innumerable crimes committed against conciseness and ease of
decoding in the name of ``generality'' through XML, I would dispense
with its services entirely. But as you note, many of those decisions I
didn't have a say in either. Worse, it does have a point: Many authors
wouldn't know what to do or would come up with something worse, or more
likely, both, had they not used XML.

The obvious solution (better authors) isn't on the horizon yet.

And hey, being part of a buzzword-driven movement and all the joy and
enthousiasm that brings surely makes up for the loss in quality, no?
Other people's CPU cycles and memory are free anyway.