[vlc-devel] [RFC] -- stream_filter issue

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 29 19:03:53 CEST 2009

Le mercredi 29 juillet 2009 19:42:00 brezhoneg1, vous avez écrit :
> In today's code, probing _all_ stream filters is done first thing, and
> cannot be deactivated.
>
> This can be a problem for content that needs to be passed untouched to a
> specific demux.
>
> An example is the skins demux submodule:
>
>   - "vlc /path/skins.vlt" used to launch a given skins. It is currently
> broken, because a decompress filter (zip or decomp) is forcibly used at
> the stream level.
>
>   - In future, describing skins available on the vlc website (with mrl +
> meta data via an xspf file) could be nice, but mrl like
> http://www.videolan.org/skins2/skins.vlt should not be decompressed
> unduly.

To me, this sounds like you should turn off ZIP to directory conversion, not
blindly all stream_filter's.

>   Would it be possible to either :
>    - make this "automatic stream filters" feature optional (with the
> option declared safe in a playlist)

If there is no other option, we can put a input item option to turn them off.
I'd rather avoid it, as I'm sure it will have counter side effects in the long
run.

>    - or have no automatic stream filters as default, and only activate
> it explicitly.

No. That's never going to work with the decomp filter. In fact, back then,
access_filter's were a usability nightmare precisely because they were all
disabled by default.

http://www.remlab.net/