[vlc-devel] Problem playing h264 + AAC (VBR) in AVI container.

Kaarlo Räihä agent_007 at luukku.com
Thu Jul 30 21:20:56 CEST 2009

I can confirm that the audio doesn't work in VLC. But for me it didn't work 0.8.6x series either. It does play correctly in MPC.

I assume issue in VLC is that audio track is identified incorrectly (or the info is wrong). Because it feeds the audio to QuickTime decoder in Win32, when normally FAAD is used with AAC.

Other notes, AVI files is either damaged or wrongly created one (VLC complains about this on opening of the file). Tool like Divfix++ can make it better in AVI spec wise, but audio is still MIA in VLC. Even fixed AVI won't work in MP4box or in AVIdemux (cannot remux to MP4 nor demux audio AAC out from the AVI).