[vlc-devel] [RFC] WinCE: implement timer API

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Jul 31 08:40:08 CEST 2009

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:59:35 +0200, Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr>
wrote:
> The Timer Queue Windows API is not available on WinCE, so this is a
> rewrite based on timeSetEvent() and friends. It may still need a few
> cosmetics fixes, but I'm leaving on a vacation and won't be able to work
> on it, so I thought I'd post it anyway.

Under the assumption that most people are interesting in Win32 rather than
WinCE, I'd suggest inverting the order. Also, once the first shot of an
interval timer has happened, why not switch to a periodic timer?

> There is one performance concern: timeSetEvent() internally calls
> timeBeginPeriod() based on the resolution argument, which modifies the
> frequency of the thread scheduler. I put a resolution of one 20th of the
> timer interval. What do we want there, what precision do the callers
> require?

Currently, that's DVD playback, RTP input and screensaver pre-emption. Only
RTP works on WinCE, I guess. It uses a rather gross interval computation
algorithm anyway. 5% sounds good enough.