[vlc-devel] Future of the update mechanism

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Fri Jul 31 11:05:29 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 06:59:27PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 05:44:42PM +0200, Rafa?l Carr? wrote :
> > Let me summarize the different solutions:
> >
> > 1/ Let the user check regularly www.videolan.org and install himself
> > latest version.
> >   pros: no code, no bugs
> >   cons: more bug reports from people using old versions
> >
> > 2/ Use Sparkle on OSX
> >   pros: bugs in Sparkle are dealt by the Sparkle team
> >   cons: OSX specific, additional server CPU load and $ spending if SSL
> >   is used, but we can use DSA signatures

This leaves wide open what to do on other platforms, so 2/ needs
enhancing with proposals what to do for non-macosx before we can
consider it a full solution.

> > 3/ Use the current code present in src/misc/update.*
> >   pros: already present, could get a bit of love from myself
> >   cons: integration into the GUI(s) is error-prone (a bug in OSX GUI it
> >   prevented updates from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1, and from 1.0.1 to future
> >   releases) and should be reviewed
> >
> > feel free to correct/enhance this mail
>
> 4/ Do like 3/, but just say a "Hello, new version available, click HERE
> to get it, and let the browser/proxy manage it.

5/ Like 4/ then fetch it ourselves, then run it through the existing
   integrity verifier, and hand it off to the system.

6/ Like 5/ but hook into the system/browser/whatever to do the fetching.

7/ Like 4/ but fetch+verify, then drop it on the desktop for installation.